The Buddha taught that reciting some of his discourses can bring protection to our lives through the powerful good karma of speaking the truths they contain. The following are several that are commonly chanted by Buddhists around the world.
- DN 32 Āṭānāṭiya Sutta: Discourse on ĀtānātiyaVerses of protection
- SN 46.14 Maha Kassapatthera Bojjhanga Sutta: Discourse on Enlightenment Factors to Arahant KassapaThe Supreme Buddha recites the Enlightenment Factors to Arahant Mahā Kassapa to help him overcome illness.
- AN 10.60 Girimānanda Sutta: Discourse to Girimānanda TheraThe monk Girimānanda listens to a teaching that helps him overcome his illness.
- Snp 1.4 Kasībhāradvāja Sutta: The Discourse to the Brahmin KasībhāradvājaBeautiful similes the Buddha gives to a brahmin who challenges him.
- Snp 1.8 Metta Sutta: Discourse on Loving-KindnessHow to practice loving-kindness meditation.
- Snp 2.1 Ratana Sutta: Jewels DiscourseThis sutta was taught by the Supreme Buddha as a protection for the city of Rājagaha when it was overcome with famine, disease, and evil spirits. It explains the qualities of the Triple Gem.
- Snp 2.4 Mahā Maṅgala Sutta: Discourse on BlessingsThe Supreme Buddha teaches a humble devata about ways that we can collect blessings into our lives.