What do you want to learn about today?
anger compassion confidence death delusion desire Dhamma Four Noble Truths giving good friends greed grief happiness harsh speech hatred heaven hell helping sangha ill will killing lay people life of the Buddha loving kindness lying meditation merit mind monks Nibbāna non-returner parents precepts rebirth results of bad actions results of good actions sanghadana saṁsara sense pleasures sharing merit stream entrant suffering the power of merit virtue wisdom wrong view
— View all topics —
Who would you like to meet today?
Anuruddha Arahant Anāthapiṇḍika Aññākoṇḍañña Arahant Bhaddā Kuṇḍalakesā Arahant Bimbisāra King Dabba Mallaputta Arahant Dhammadinnā Arahant Kakusandha Supreme Buddha Kassapa Supreme Buddha Kokālika Koṇāgamana Supreme Buddha Kuṇḍadhāna Arahant Mahā Kappina Arahant Mahā Kassapa Arahant Mahā Koṭṭhita Arahant Mahā Moggallāna Arahant Mahā Pajāpatī Gotamī Arahant Mallikā Queen Mogharāja Arahant Māra Mātali Deva Nanda Arahant Nandā Arahant Narada Arahant Pasenadi King Paṭācārā Arahant Piṇḍolabhāradvāja Arahant Raṭṭhapāla Arahant Rādha Arahant Sahampati Brahma Sakka Lord of Gods Sanaṅkumāra Brahma Sikhī Supreme Buddha Sobhita Arahant Soṇā Arahant Subhūti Arahant Subrahma Brahma Suddhāvāsa Brahma Supreme Buddha Sāriputta Arahant Sīvali Arahant Uruveḷa Kassapa Arahant Vaṅgīsa Arahant Vepacitti Asura Ānanda Arahant
— View all people —
Dive deep into a topic…
Read a popular sutta
- DN 22 Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta: Long Discourse on the Establishments Of Mindfulness A complete set of instructions for practicing mindfulness meditation.
- MN 10 Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta: Discourse on the Establishments of Mindfulness A complete set of instructions for practicing mindfulness meditation.
- SN 45.2 Upaḍḍha Sutta: Half the Spiritual Life
- SN 56.31 Siṁsapā Sutta: In the Indian Rosewood Forest There are many things that the Buddha did not teach us because they are irrelevant, unbeneficial and do not lead to Nibbāna.
Read a Story
- Thig 16.1: The Verses of Arahant Nun Sumedhā (447-521) This Arahant Nun gave up power and wealth to follow the Supreme Buddha’s teachings.
- Snp 1.10 Ālavaka Sutta: Discourse to Ālavaka the Demon The Supreme Buddha defeats the Demon Ālavaka with the power of his wisdom.
- MN 82 Raṭṭhapāla Sutta: With Arahant Raṭṭhapāla A young man becomes a monk and teaches a King about the true nature of life.
- Pv 2.6 Kaṇha Sutta: King Kanha How should we think to overcome grief?
— More Stories —
Wise people learn from similes.
axe ball of earth balls of clay bamboo bird blind person bubble drop of water earth fire flame flower garland maker goldsmith grain of sand hunter kingdom lake lamp leaf milk moon mother mother’s milk mountain mustard seed ocean pebble pillar plow pond pot rice river seed skeleton skilled turner snake soil in fingernail stick stone post streams turtle water drop water in the ocean
— View all similes —
Chant a Paritta
- DN 32 Āṭānāṭiya Sutta: Discourse on Ātānātiya Verses of protection
- SN 46.14 Maha Kassapatthera Bojjhanga Sutta: Discourse on Enlightenment Factors to Arahant Kassapa The Supreme Buddha recites the Enlightenment Factors to Arahant Mahā Kassapa to help him overcome illness.
- Snp 1.4 Kasībhāradvāja Sutta: The Discourse to the Brahmin Kasībhāradvāja Beautiful similes the Buddha gives to a brahmin who challenges him.
- Snp 2.1 Ratana Sutta: Jewels Discourse This sutta was taught by the Supreme Buddha as a protection for the city of Rājagaha when it was overcome with famine, disease, and evil spirits. It explains the qualities of the Triple Gem.
— More Parittas —
Want something new?
Still not sure?
Or browse by book:
Longer sermons, 34 in all, that cover a range of topics.
A collection of 152 sermons.
Shorter suttas organized by topic into 56 chapters.
Shorter suttas organized by number of items in each one.
The Khuddaka Nikāya is a collection of smaller independent books.
Nine Short suttas including the famous Metta, Maṅgala, and Ratana Suttas.
423 Verses organized by topic.
A collection of 80 short suttas that explain a short story and a verse.
“This Was Said”
A collection of 112 short suttas that have a short statement and a verse.
Suttas mostly of verses, often with stories or deep Dhamma.
Stories of Heavenly Mansions
Learn about good actions that lead to rebirth in heavenly realms.
Stories of Ghosts
Learn about bad actions that lead to rebirth in the ghost world.
Verses of Arahant Monks
Verses spoken by to to the Great arahant monks that lived in the time of the Supreme Buddha.
Verses of Arahant Nuns
Verses spoken by to to the Great arahant nuns that lived in the time of the Supreme Buddha.
Check out all the help articles.