What do you want to learn about today?
anger compassion confidence death delusion desire Dhamma Four Noble Truths giving good friends greed grief happiness harsh speech hatred heaven hell ill will karma killing lay people life of the Buddha loving kindness lying meditation merit mind monks Nibbāna non-returner parents precepts rebirth results of bad actions results of good actions saṁsara sense pleasures sharing merit stream entrant suffering the power of merit unwholesome thoughts virtue wisdom wrong view
— View all topics —
Who would you like to meet today?
Anuruddha Arahant Aññākoṇḍañña Arahant Bakkula Arahant Bhaddiya Arahant Bimbisāra King Cūḷapanthaka Arahant Kakusandha Supreme Buddha Kassapa Supreme Buddha Khadiravaniya Revata Arahant Kokālika Koṇāgamana Supreme Buddha Kumara Kassapa Arahant Kāḷudāyi Arahant Lakuṇṭaka Bhaddiya Arahant Mahā Kaccana Arahant Mahā Kappina Arahant Mahā Kassapa Arahant Mahā Moggallāna Arahant Mahā Pajāpatī Gotamī Arahant Mahāpanthaka Arahant Mallikā Queen Māluṅkyaputta Arahant Māra Mātali Deva Nandā Arahant Narada Arahant Pasenadi King Pārāsariya Arahant Raṭṭhapāla Arahant Sahampati Brahma Sakka Lord of Gods Sanaṅkumāra Brahma Sela Arahant Sikhī Supreme Buddha Soṇa Kuṭikaṇṇa Arahant Subrahma Brahma Suddhāvāsa Brahma Sumana Arahant Supreme Buddha Sāriputta Arahant Upasena Arahant Uruveḷa Kassapa Arahant Vaṅgīsa Arahant Vepacitti Asura Ānanda Arahant
— View all people —
Dive deep into a topic…
Read a popular sutta
- Snp 2.1 Ratana Sutta: Jewels Discourse This sutta was taught by the Supreme Buddha as a protection for the city of Rājagaha when it was overcome with famine, disease, and evil spirits. It explains the qualities of the Triple Gem.
- MN 10 Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta: Discourse on the Establishments of Mindfulness A complete set of instructions for practicing mindfulness meditation.
- Snp 1.8 Metta Sutta: Discourse on Loving-Kindness How to practice loving-kindness meditation.
- SN 7.2 Akkosaka Sutta: Akkosaka Should you accept the gift of angry words?
Read a Story
- Thig 15.1: The Verses of Arahant Nun Isidāsī (399-446) The Arahant Nun Isidāsī tells the story of her previous lives.
- MN 82 Raṭṭhapāla Sutta: With Arahant Raṭṭhapāla A young man becomes a monk and teaches a King about the true nature of life.
- SN 6.4 Baka Brahmā Sutta: The Discourse Given to Brahmā Baka The Buddha teaches the reality to a Brahmā who thought his world is permanent.
- Thig 16.1: The Verses of Arahant Nun Sumedhā (447-521) This Arahant Nun gave up power and wealth to follow the Supreme Buddha’s teachings.
— More Stories —
Wise people learn from similes.
arrows axe balls of clay bamboo bird bubble cartwheel cowherd drop of water earth elephant fire firebrand flame flower horse hunter lamp leaf lotus moon mother mountain ocean ox palm fruit pebble pillar plow pond pot rain river seed skilled turner snake soil in fingernail stick stone post storm streams sunrise turtle water drop water in the ocean
— View all similes —
Chant a Paritta
- DN 32 Āṭānāṭiya Sutta: Discourse on Ātānātiya Verses of protection
- AN 10.60 Girimānanda Sutta: Discourse to Girimānanda Thera The monk Girimānanda listens to a teaching that helps him overcome his illness.
- Snp 2.4 Mahā Maṅgala Sutta: Discourse on Blessings The Supreme Buddha teaches a humble devata about ways that we can collect blessings into our lives.
- SN 46.14 Maha Kassapatthera Bojjhanga Sutta: Discourse on Enlightenment Factors to Arahant Kassapa The Supreme Buddha recites the Enlightenment Factors to Arahant Mahā Kassapa to help him overcome illness.
— More Parittas —
Want something new?
Still not sure?
Or browse by book:
Longer sermons, 34 in all, that cover a range of topics.
A collection of 152 sermons.
Shorter suttas organized by topic into 56 chapters.
Shorter suttas organized by number of items in each one.
The Khuddaka Nikāya is a collection of smaller independent books.
Nine Short suttas including the famous Metta, Maṅgala, and Ratana Suttas.
423 Verses organized by topic.
A collection of 80 short suttas that explain a short story and a verse.
“This Was Said”
A collection of 112 short suttas that have a short statement and a verse.
Suttas mostly of verses, often with stories or deep Dhamma.
Stories of Heavenly Mansions
Learn about good actions that lead to rebirth in heavenly realms.
Stories of Ghosts
Learn about bad actions that lead to rebirth in the ghost world.
Verses of Arahant Monks
Verses spoken by to to the Great arahant monks that lived in the time of the Supreme Buddha.
Verses of Arahant Nuns
Verses spoken by to to the Great arahant nuns that lived in the time of the Supreme Buddha.
Check out all the help articles.