The Udāna contains the record of short incidents followed by a verse. It is a good collection to read one sutta a day. Download a reading checklist
For different numbering systems of the Udāna, use this chart.
- Ud 1.1 Paṭhamabodhi Sutta: The Bodhi Tree 1 Seeing arising.
- Ud 1.2 Dutiyabodhi Sutta: The Bodhi Tree 2 Seeing passing away.
- Ud 1.3 Tatiyabodhi Sutta: The Bodhi Tree 3 Seeing arising and passing away.
- Ud 1.4 Nigrodha Sutta: The Banyan Tree How does one become a Brāhmin?
- Ud 1.5 Thera Sutta: The Liberated Ones How does one become a brāhmin?
- Ud 1.6 Mahākassapa Sutta: Mahākassapa Thero Who can turn down heavenly food?
- Ud 1.7 Pāvā Sutta: At The City of Pāvā Can the Buddha be frightened?
- Ud 1. 8 Saṇgāmaji Sutta: The Monk Saṇgāmaji An arahant has no attachments.
- Ud 1.9 Jaṭila Sutta: Jaṭila Ascetics How can our lives become purified?
- Ud 1.10 Bāhiya Sutta: Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth The Buddha gives a deep teaching on the six sense bases.