Thig 2.1 The Verses of Arahant Nun Gorgeous Nandā
19. Nandā, see carefully this disgusting body that is diseased, impure, rotten, oozing, and filthy. With a well-concentrated mind, develop the meditation on the impurities of the body.
20. Develop insight meditation which is free from signs of defilements. Uproot the conceit in the mind. Abandoning conceit with full understanding, live in peace.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Gorgeous Nandā.
Thig 2.2 The Verses of Arahant Nun Jentā
21. As the way leading to Nibbāna, these seven aids for enlightenment were taught by the Supreme Buddha. I have developed all of them.
22. I have indeed seen the Blessed One through the Dhamma. This is my final body. Journeying on from birth to birth has ended. There is no longer any existence for me.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Jentā.
Thig 2.3 The Verses of Arahant Nun Sumangalamātā
23. You are released from everything. Yes, you are well released. It is good that you are released from the pestle. My husband had no shame whatsoever. I disliked even his umbrella. My pots even stank badly.
24. I destroyed lust and hate with a sizzle and pop. Now, when I go up to the foot of a tree, I think, “Oh, what a wonderful happiness.” I meditate with immense happiness.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Sumangalamātā
Thig 2.4 The Verses of Arahant Nun Aḍḍhakāsī
25. My wage for being a prostitute was set equal to half the tax revenue of the province of Kāsi. The people of the province fixed that price and made me their prostitute.
26. But now, with full understanding I have become disenchanted with my body. I have become dispassionate. I will never run through the journeying-on from birth to birth again. I have attained the Triple Knowledge and completed the training of the Buddha.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Aḍḍhakāsī.
Thig 2.5 The Verses of Arahant Nun Cittā
27. I am very thin, sick and weak. But still, leaning on a stick, I climbed the Mountain Gijjhakūṭa.
28. I put my bowl aside, turning it upside down, and put my double robe aside as well. I sat on a rock. I tore apart the dark mass of ignorance.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Cittā.
Thig 2.6 The Verses of Arahant Nun Mettikā
29. I was in great pain, weak, with my youth gone. But still, leaning on a stick I climbed the Mountain Gijjhakūṭa.
30. I put my bowl aside, turning it upside down, and put my double robe aside as well. I sat on a rock. There, my mind was completely released from taints. I have attained the Triple Knowledge and completed the Buddha’s training.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Mettikā.
Thig 2.7 The Verses of Arahant Nun Mettā
31. Previously, I observed uposatha, keeping eight precepts. My wish was to be reborn in heaven.
32. But now I eat a single meal. I live with a shaved head, a bowl, and robes. I have removed all defilements from my heart. Now, I no longer wish for a rebirth in heaven.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Mettā.
Thig 2.8 The Verses of Arahant Nun Abhayamātā
33. Mother, from the soles of the feet upwards, from the head and hair downwards, reflect on this impure, evil smelling body.
34. [According to the advice of my son Abhaya,] I wisely reflected on this body. I rooted out all desire. I have cut out the burning fever of defilements. Now I have become cool and quenched.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Abhayamātā.
Thig 2.9 The Verses of Arahant Nun Abhayā
35. Abhayā, ordinary people are attached to the body. But the reality is the body is fragile. Having wisely reflected on this fact with clear mindfulness, I will discard this body.
36. I used this life full of pain only for practicing the Dhamma diligently. Craving has been destroyed. I have attained Nibbāna and completed the Buddha’s training.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Abhayā.
Thig 2.10 The Verses of Arahant Nun Sāmā
37. Previously, I was unable to gain any unification of mind. I had no control over my mind. I left the monastery four or five times a day.
38. But finally, when the eighth night passed since I became a nun, I completely rooted out craving. I took the Dhamma practice seriously because of the many pains in this life. Craving has been destroyed. I have attained Nibbāna and completed the Buddha’s training.
These verses were said by Arahant Nun Sāmā.