473. I was the only child of the family. My mother and father loved me very much. To obtain a child, they performed many ceremonies with rituals and prayers. Then I was born.
474. Truly, my mother and father were very compassionate to me. Seeking my true happiness, they only wished for my wellbeing. One day, they carried me on their shoulders and took me to the Buddha, saying:
475. “Bhante, this son was obtained by great difficulty. He is very delicate and has only prospered in happiness. Great teacher, you are the protector of this world and the victor of great battles. Now we offer this child to you to train as your pupil.”
476. The great teacher accepted me and said to Ānanda Bhante, “Ānanda, ordain this child quickly. This child will become outstanding.”
477. Having ordained me, the Great Victor entered the monastery. Within a short time, before the sun could even set, my mind was liberated from all defilements.
478. That day, the Great Teacher, rising up from his meditation, called me thus, “Dear Bhadda, come here.” That was my higher ordination.
479. I was just seven years old when I received higher ordination. I too attained the Triple Knowledge. Ah! See the excellence of this Dhamma.
These verses were said by Arahant Bhadda.