480. The shadow of the Buddha’s hut fell on his walking path. The best of men, the Buddha, was doing walking meditation there. I went up to him. I worshiped him, the best of men, the Buddha.
481. I arranged in my robe, putting it over one shoulder. Placing my hands together, I too started walking behind the Buddha, the one who is freed from defilements, the best of all beings.
482. The Buddha who is extremely skilled in answering questions asked me questions. At that time, I was not scared or terrified at all to answer. I answered all the questions.
483. The Tathāgata Buddha was pleased at the way I answered the questions. Looking at the community of monks, the Buddha said this about me:
484. “The people of Ānga and Magadha offer robes, food, resting places and medicine to this young monk Sopāka. This young Sopāka uses them. It’s a great gain for those people. Those people, having seen this young monk, get up from their seats and pay respect to him. It’s a great gain for those people. Those people have Dhamma discussions with this young monk. It’s a great gain for them.
485. Dear Sopāka, from today onwards you should come to see me. Dear Sopāka, just your answering of my questions is your higher ordination.”
486. I was just seven years old when I received higher ordination. I too attained the Triple Knowledge. Ah! See the excellence of this Dhamma.
These verses were said by Arahant Sopāka.