345. Previously, three times a day—in the morning, at midday and in the evening—I went down into the water from the bank of the Gaya Elgu River at Gaya.
346. Formerly, I held the view that whatever evil was done by me in previous births can now be washed away here.
347. Later, I got to hear the meaningful and well spoken words of the Buddha. I reflected wisely on that meaningful, true and practical Dhamma.
348. I washed away all evil with the water of Dhamma. I scrubbed away the stain of ignorance and became purified and clean. I received the pure inheritance of the pure Buddha. I became a son who was born from the heart of the Buddha.
349. Having plunged into the stream of the Noble Eightfold Path, I have washed all my evil away. I have attained the Triple Knowledge. The Buddha’s path has been fully followed by me.
These verses were said by Arahant Gayā Kassapa.