When we read the Buddha’s teachings, we may need to learn some new words. Here is the meaning of some of the words that may be new to you. If you are still unsure about a lot of words, you may want to install some dictionary software.
If you are looking for suttas on a certain topic, check out the subject index.
eating in moderationWhen we eat in moderation, we eat understanding the correct we eat just to maintain and nourish the body, not for fun, pleasure, or to make ourselves beautiful.
eight individualsThis refers to
- someone on the path to stream entry
- someone who has attained stream entry
- someone on the path to once returner
- someone who has attained once returner
- someone on the path to non-returner
- someone who has attained non-returner
- someone on the path to arahant
- someone who has attained arahant
eight precepts1) Not killing 2) not stealing 3) not engaging in sexual activity 4) not lying 5) not using drugs or alcohol 6) not using entertainment or cosmetics 7) not eating after 12 noon 8) not using luxurious seats and beds. The Buddha asked his lay disciples to keep these on the full moon days.
enyBlackbuck (Pāli: eṇeyyaka)
eonAn eon is an extremely long period of time. More than millions and millions of years. Pāli: kalpa
existenceRepeated birth from one life to another.